Tuesday 27 August 2013

Fabrics: Tweed

In about 1830, a London merchant received a letter from a Hawick firm about some tweels. The London merchant misinterpreted the handwriting, understanding it to be a trade-name taken from the river Tweed that flows through the Scottish Borders textile area. The goods were then advertised as Tweed, and the name has remained ever since. Tweed is a closely woven, rough, unfinished woolen fabric and is made in either plain or twill weave.  It may also have a herringbone or checkered pattern.  

I chose this fabric because I am a big fan of ' Coco Chanel's ' tailored suits in which most are made of tweed.  Never worked with the fabric myself, but seems to be a great one for structured  clothing, jackets, pant suits etc. The only time I may use this fabric is when tailoring a jacket for myself.  I find that tweed seems to fit in with modern times of the business woman or the fashionably capable girl who loves the boyfriend styled blazers. Chanel comes out with a modernized tweed collection every year, very chic, very classic. Tweed is one amazing fabric.






No comments:

Post a Comment